Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Well, we will start with the Ugly...the ugly face of illness. Aiden had had a bad cough and runny nose for about 5 days....then came a fever. We made a trip to the doctor to find out that the typical change of weather cold that the kids get, is now an ear infection, RSV.....AND PNEUMONIA!!!! Poor guy had to have his first chest x-ray (an awful thing to do to a child!), which found the pneumonia, an RSV test run, and an immediate breathing treatment. We had to buy a breathing machine from the doctor's office(after insurance I'm sure it will still be expensive!) $40 medicine to go with it(insurance saved us almost $90!), as well as an antibiotic for the ear infection. Aiden has done a very good job with the treatments, however, he refuses to put the mask on! He has to take Delsym for his cough, IB proferin for his fever, his antibiotic for his ear and the breathing treatment. Entirely too much medicine! He hasn't been eating much, along with his sister(she's on week #2 of little appetite and has also had a cold for a week...no RSV), so the grocery bill has certainly been cheaper!!! He has to have his humidifier on during bedtime and has been taking excellent, long naps. He has also been extremely clingy and ONLY wanting his mom, so the majority of my day is spent holding him. I've had many conversations with Emily about how sick he is and that even though I want to hold her, I can't. Thankfully, Justin is off work the rest of the week, so he has been spending time with her. Aiden goes back to the doctor on Monday for a follow-up appt. Hopefully his lungs will be clear!! Now for the Bad....I'd been watching my sister's kids at the house while they were in the middle of moving. I was loading the dishwasher and put the handle to my quick chef in the dishwasher...something that I never put in. I'm guessing I was distracted...either way, it fell in the dishwasher and sat under the heating element at the bottom and totally fried! Emily, Aiden and I were downstairs and I could smell this awful burning smell. I came to the kitchen to find a smoking dishwasher!! Oh, did it stink! This is what is left of my handle now. The GOOD...we finally got to get rid of our old, inefficient dishwasher. Thankfully, we just got our taxes back, so the $350 price tag was actually possible for us to afford. We got a Whirlpool, stainless-LOOK(I'm not keen on fingerprints, so no stainless) dishwasher from Lowe's and we have been loving it. It went in without scratching our new floor, so that was even better! The other dishwasher didn't go in as far under the countertop, so we will have to add a little more flooring in front of the washer. That being the ONLY downfall, I think we will survive! :)

No comments: