Tuesday, March 3, 2009

First Stitches

I don't know what my son has against spreading out his wild happenings. We had just seen the family doctor yesterday for his follow-up on the pneumonia episode and got the all clear with that. Came home, had naptime. Then the fun started. Last night I was getting supper ready and Aiden came into the kitchen, slipping on the floor with his new socks and running his head into the edge of the open shelving of the kitchen cabinets. Hearing the pans crash, I ran around the island to see what had happened and blood was dripping quickly out of his little head. I grabbed the kitchen towel and tried to contain the mess til I was able to put a bandage on it. My poor daughter was in the middle of going potty, so I was trying to get her to get up and pull her pants back up...but she wasn't able to do it herself! AHH!! Finally, after getting the kids to the truck, tracking down my wallet and calling daddy we made it to the ER. Luckily, my sister is 5 minutes away, so she met us at the minor emergency...which is just 4 blocks away. She took Emily with her and Aiden went with me to make his first visit to the ER. My friend Tari said we need to have a punch card for the kid...10th visit is free. Aiden cried when he hit his head, when we took the sticky band-aid off to show the nurse and when he couldn't get down to walk on the floor during the hour long wait for the stitches, but he didn't do anything for the actual stitches.
The gash was too deep and gapping too far for glue, which he wouldve picked off, so they had to go with stitches. The nurse had put a big clear bandage w/numbing gel on his battle wound(it looked like plastic wrap) and left it to sit for an hour. Justin came into the room 30 minutes or so after we had gotten there. He called his Lt. and said, "I'm heading out west, my son..." and the Lt. said "okay". It's bad when you just say "my son" and they let you go. :) Justin only had about 40 minutes left to work til his shift was done, so it wasn't such a big deal. To do the stitches, they wrapped a blanket around Aiden, making him like a mummy, to keep his arms in place. He laid down on the bed, very still, and just watched the doctor do the stitches. The only time he moved was when the doctor asked if he was going to go and eat...he nodded his head. So, two hours, $100 and four stitches later, we were at my sister's house having dinner with her family. I am soooo glad they moved back! :) If this kid is anything like his dad(Justin got 6 stitches from a claw hammer hitting him in the head...thanks to his brothers!), we will be visiting the ER a lot!!

No comments: