Friday, October 23, 2009

The Big Town

Friday.
I love Friday's. Not that it means the end of the work week for me or anything. Most Friday's we get to spend with Justin. Most. This was a great Friday. We made a little trip to Newton today and took in some shopping with the kids. Before I get into that, here are a few extra pictures.
This is why we don't rake. Our entire yard looks like this and the leaves are still falling. A sea of leaves. Too bad our tree can't magically make red leaves. The milk crate that bears my maiden name on it has evolved from Aiden's stuffed animal holder to what it was originally purchased for: book storage. I've been waiting to put Emily's nice hardback books in it til she(and Aiden, the book terror) matured a little bit. No more boardbooks in her room. Now she has "big girl" books. At least it's a hit with Aiden. :) No, seriously, she loves it. I changed out her books in the middle of the night and she woke up to find her new collection in her room. Best surprised face, ever. Newton... I've been wanting to go to the Thrift Store there. Wichita just doesn't provide the selection that a small town does. The Wal-mart's in small towns are my favorite!! We went to Newton's, as well.
We stopped in at an antique place I've been wanting to visit for about 3 years. Everytime I drive through town I tell myself I will go in there someday. Today was that magical day!! Stupidly we took the kids. Oh, well. Nothing broke.
There were TIN CEILINGS!! So beautiful. I think it may have been the first original tin ceiling that I have ever seen in person. The store had 3 levels to it, all jammed packed with goodies. I cannot wait to go back in.
Exposed brick. Seriously...why did I come home??
Justin had to escort Aiden out of the antique store, seeing as how he was looking very much like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. All I could see were visions of broken glass and I knew I didn't want to pay for it. Emily and I ventured up to the 3rd floor of the shop, where she found a good look out place to check on the rest of the world.
Justin's 30th is vastly approaching, as he reminded me today. "I have one more week til I'm 30." Another officer in his office asked how old he was going to be, and when he told her she said, "Man, you lost your hair FAST!" Ha ha. While we were driving in downtown Newton, I spotted this little nook and told Justin I wanted to take his picture in it. So cute. I call them his "senior pictures". Senior in high school/half way to senior citizen. Ha ha!!
The cute face that I got to sit by at lunch.
I can't remember what she was singing when I took this. She is always singing something.
Emily's best friend, Daddy. Again, looking at the camera is beyond her.
Before he got ketchup all over. When I was telling Justin what restaurants there were on Main St., I mentioned Long John's. He immediately chimed in and said that was what he wanted for lunch. All I could think of was Becki Herrington(now Malloy) in college saying, "Long John Silver's is sooo not good for you." Ha ha. Thanks, Beck.
One of the things I wanted to go to Newton to do was take pictures by all the red trees in the area. Unfortunately, my kids did not get the memo. This was the best picture I got of them and not a bit of red in sight. So sad. It was cold, so I will let it slide this time children!!
My thrift store loot. Aiden picked out the Muppet's book, of course. Emily picked up some book that 9th graders read and I had to battle her to put it back on the shelf without having her sound like she was being murdered. I made it through that episode without any tears by letting her bring home the Winnie the Pooh book. I hardly cared. I love the old Pooh books. The others I picked out. There were no prices on them, so I was really hoping that they were super cheap. Seven books(the top left one is dark--it's a 1935 hymnal) for 75 cents. And that's how it's done. I had about 6 more things I really wanted to get, but they didn't have prices on them. I will be back again, Newton Salvation Army Thrift Store!!! Be ready.
My find at the antique store. $6 mini loaf pan. I've been looking at them on Etsy, but by the time you pay for shipping you're looking at spending $4-$6 for the pan and $5 for shipping. Saved some money and supported a local business. Love it. The old Bake King pan will be wearing a lovely shade of white by the end of the weekend. Getting ready for Christmas!! Emily also found a navy blue scarf for 50 cents. She wore it on our shoe shopping/book looking outting tonight...with chocolate and white colored polka dot dress with the same colored striped leggings and navy blue shoes. I like that she has opinions about how she should dress...I just wish she could pick things that match. The trip to Wal-mart in Newton was a huge success. I finally found jeans (cheap)that fit--and were even a size smaller than last year's attire. LOVE IT. Found Em jeans(again, cheap)and cute(cheap) shirts to decorate for her with Jen. We have Christmas items to work on, Jen!! I think I may have my mom show me how to sew. She did back in the day, but now she has a more high tech machine that can make awesome things. I found a super cute outfit pattern that I would love to make for Emily(look at the tulle!). It would match her extremely bright pink boots that SHE picked out at Target tonight. They will look pretty in the snow...that's what I keep telling myself so I don't sneak them back to the store. :)

No comments: