Late last night I had a voice mail from my mom saying my aunt and uncle would be in town today, passing through for a funeral. I of course packed the kids up and headed to my mom's an hour away. I think it took us an hour and a half due to road detours, but we finally made it. My other aunt also came, so that was an added plus to the day. The three of them drove up from the Oklahoma City area to go to a funeral of an old friend in Fort Riley. My Aunt Dean(the white haired one) has not changed in appearance since the day I was born. I swear. Same hair for the last 29(almost) years. She's in her 80's, maybe 83 or so. My Aunt Betty has aged a lot, though she and Roe are in their 70's(Roe plays on a 70+ softball team and does a lot of the running for other
teammates). Mom said even more than when she saw her about 6 mos. or so ago. Betty has Alzheimer's, her husband Roe hasn't really told a lot of people. Mom just told me a few months ago, but from how she talks about it, it sounds like she's had it for quite some time. We haven't been down to Oklahoma to see any of my aunts or uncles on the Kennedy side since Thanksgiving 2006. December 30th, 2006, Aunt Dean's husband Jr passed away of lung cancer and my Granny passed away after that in February 2007 of heart/diabetic issues. She never got to meet Aiden and see his red hair. Oh, how she would've gone on about his red hair and how much she loved red haired kids(she had red hair growing up). In fact, no one on the Kennedy side had met Aiden, so it was nice for them to get to see him today. Aunt Betty asked me a question that seems to be getting popular lately: Are they twins? :) Since the kids are about the same height, people always think there's a possibility that they are.
teammates). Mom said even more than when she saw her about 6 mos. or so ago. Betty has Alzheimer's, her husband Roe hasn't really told a lot of people. Mom just told me a few months ago, but from how she talks about it, it sounds like she's had it for quite some time. We haven't been down to Oklahoma to see any of my aunts or uncles on the Kennedy side since Thanksgiving 2006. December 30th, 2006, Aunt Dean's husband Jr passed away of lung cancer and my Granny passed away after that in February 2007 of heart/diabetic issues. She never got to meet Aiden and see his red hair. Oh, how she would've gone on about his red hair and how much she loved red haired kids(she had red hair growing up). In fact, no one on the Kennedy side had met Aiden, so it was nice for them to get to see him today. Aunt Betty asked me a question that seems to be getting popular lately: Are they twins? :) Since the kids are about the same height, people always think there's a possibility that they are.
Aunt Dean, Aunt Betty and Uncle Roe
Little Miss with her great aunts. She warmed up pretty fast and sat right up there for a picture. The boy is in no pics seeing as how he hid on my mom or Jack the whole time they were there . :)
Great Aunt Betty and Emily checking out pictures of baby A.J.
Before they left, my Uncle Roe got all of us together and prayed for Jack. The older Kennedy siblings are very strong Believer's and know about the power of prayer. It made me tear up during his prayer, 'cause the whole time all I could focus on was my Aunt Betty beside me, praying aloud as well, with all of her heart. During our earlier conversations, she had to ask me if "Gymmie" was my mom and double check that Roe was my mom's half brother, but she knew without a shadow of a doubt who her Lord and Savior was. It was such a powerful moment to me. I'm so glad that I was able to visit with them and hope to see them again soon.
After the family left, the kids and I took Gra and Pop for a walk around the town to take some pictures. This is the ivy growing in their front yard and up their tree.
First Baptist Church. The first and last in this small town. This is less than a block away. The bell would always ring every Sunday morning. Before I was out of bed yet. I hated it.
When this man is rolling towards you, get out of the way!!
Mom taking the kids "downtown"...a whole block away from their house.
The high tech car wash in town.
The grain elevator
The best part of walking down an alley...blue wall and door. We had to take a picture..it was too cute.
An old industrial shed. I think the people were indecisive painters. :)
The co-op. It's directly across the street from my parents house.
Old pressed tin over the attic window at the church.
The Christian Church's Teen Service is currently being headed by my mom. Poor teens. :)
I really wanted to get a picture of this sign. Some day I may give a copy to Jack. I don't know how much longer he will have that job, so I wanted to capture that memory.
Railroad and Fifth is where the Christian Church is located.
The stain glass windows...my mom told me thanks for taking pictures of the clean windows. Ha ha, mom.
The only Christian Church in town.
Across the street is the co-op, next to the HOT and COLD water towers. These were featured on Leno one time.
The only thing you need on a porch--a porch swing. Someday I will have one on my wrap around porch. :)
Jack and I were talking about him preaching after dinner tonight. He's had people filling in, as he is still on paid leave. He mentioned to me that during his sermons, before his leave, he was forgetting words and would have to ask one of the lady's what he was talking about or the word he was thinking of and how she always knew. I know not preaching is really bothering him, as well as not knowing the words he wants to say during his sermons. Just keep Jack in your prayers, that this not be the end of his time in ministry. He has so much to give to these people. And also that they find someone willing to do teen church on Sunday nights. When my mom stoops to ask me to do it, I know it's bad!! :)
2 comments:
I LOVE the pictures! You do such a great job! The one with the kids and Grandma is my favorite!
I, too, have always said I wanted a HUGE porch with a big swing! Every time we go to Wichita, I make Sean drive my through Barefoot Bay where there is this one house that has a porch wrapped around the entire house!
i must know what kind of camera you have. must know.
i heart photography. good job!
Post a Comment