Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Waiting for November 1st

I love the Fall. For some reason, the Fall season makes me think of vintage. I don't know why that is. Vintage table runners and plates. Vintage chairs and Halloween decor. Maybe it's all the arts and crafts fairs that go on during this time. Either way, I adore it. Fall also makes me very aware of important dates: **September 20th- our anniversary **September 24th-Maisie's birthday(Justin's niece) **October 26- Tim's birthday(Justin's dad) **October 28th- Justin's parents anniversary **October 29th- Chloe's birthday(Justin's niece) **October 31st- Justin's birthday(30th this year!) **November 1st- Karsten's birthday(Justin's nephew) **November 13th- this year it would be my dad's 81st birthday **November 20th- New Moon premiere(that's right...it's on my important events calendar!) **December 1st- my birthday **December 10th- Emily's birthday **December 25th- Christmas!!!! There are also more birthdays of close friends and their kids in December, as well as Jason and Heidi's anniversary at the end of the month. As you can see, I have a list of things I have to get through before I can get to Christmas(if you're wondering, I skip Thanksgiving as a personal preference. That's me. Not the rest of the family...just me). As a rule in our house, I have to wait til after Justin's birthday to get any Christmas stuff out. Hold on...that's an understatement. I can't even LOOK at Christmas stuff til after his birthday!! He curses Hobby Lobby every August when they bring out Christmas trees. "There should not be ANY Christmas stuff out til after my birthday!!" he grumbles. What a sad, strange little man he is. :) This year I've already managed to break the rules a few times. I haven't bought anything or gotten anything out, but boy have I been looking!! That darn etsy.com has some great stuff!! Well, yesterday I was getting myself acquainted to the surroundings of my new favorite blog, "Whatever", and decided to take a stroll back to last December. Gasp. That's the only sound that came out of my mouth. And then I felt something that shocked me. A tear was sliding down my right cheek!!

Why?

All because of this picture. I caught the glimpse of quite a few other holiday pics and decorations before this one, but something about it made me sad, ecstatic, anxious, overwhelmed and joyful all at once. I have always wanted vintage ornaments like these and this picture was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Weird, huh? Here's the extra weird factor: I went back again to look at this picture today and I had the exact same reaction: gasp and tear. I guess it's the simple things in life. But look at those pink balls!! They are so pretty!! :) So, here's to November 1st.

I await your return.

2 comments:

meg duerksen said...

you are so funny.
i would never have thought that that picture would make someone emotional. :) you must have a tender heart like me. i cry about anything and every thing.

did you start decorating yet? HA!

the whyte house said...

ha ha. i never would have thought it'd make ME emotional!! :)

as for the decorating, no. i did find some wonderful velvet ric rac for gift wrapping this year! :)